Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge
Indian Science Abstracts
Indian Journal of Geo Marine Sciences (September 2019 – August 2020)
Proceedings of the Indian National Science Academy (Guest Editor, INYAS 3rd Special Issue)
Research Project Undertaken
1. SERB Core Research Grant
[Co-PI; Ongoing; 16.03.2021 to 15.03.2024]
Research Grant amount: Approx. 56.94 Lakhs for a period of 3 years
Title: Profiling of beneficial rhizobacteria-induced epigenetic response and genome stability in plants
2. SERB Early Career Research Award
[PI; Ongoing; 19.12.2018 to 18.12.2021]
Research Grant amount: Approx. 39.33 Lakhs for a period of 3 years
Title: Elucidating the role of GRAM-domain containing gene(s) in Bacillus amyloliquifaciens-mediated abiotic stress responses in plants
3. INSA Young Scientist Project
[PI; Completed; 22.12.2017 to 30.06.2021]
Research Grant amount: 15.00 Lakhs for a period of 3 years
Title: Unraveling the role of plant growth promoting rhizobacteria-responsive microRNA(s) in Arabidopsis
4. CSIR Niche Creating High Science Project
[Co-PI; Completed; 16.11.2018 to 31.03.2020]
Research Grant amount: 700 Lakhs for a period of 2 years
Title: Genome-wide editing for enhanced yield and quality traits
5. DBT Twining R & D Project
[PI; Completed; 12.09.2018 to 11.09.2021; handed over to the Co-PI]
Research Grant amount: Approx. 15.63 Lakhs for a period of 3 years
Title: Understanding the molecular mechanism of defense in pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan) due to infestation by Helicoverpa armigera
6. DBT NER-BPMC Network Project
[Co-PI; Completed; 26.03.2018 to 25.03.2021]
Research Grant amount: 22.00 Lakhs for a period of 3 years
Title: Combating bunchy top disease of banana (cultivar Malbhog) through Host-Delivered RNA Interference (HD-RNAi) approach
7. INSPIRE Faculty Award [IFA-11LSPA-01]
[PI; Completed; 01.03.2012 to 28.02.2018]
Research Grant amount: 35.0 Lakhs for a period of 6 years
Title: Transcript profiling of major millet crops under drought stress and cloning-characterization of stress-inducible transcription factors
8. SERB Women Excellence Award [SERB/F/634/2014-15]
[PI; Completed; 03.07.2014 to 02.07.2017]
Research Grant amount: 18.00 Lakhs for a period of 3 years
Title: A study on the role of miRNA(s) in plant growth promoting rhizobacteria mediated drought stress alleviation in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.)
9. CSIR Network Project [BSC117]
[Team Member; Completed; Total no. of scientists: 06; 01.04.2012 to 31.03.2017]
Research Grant amount: 629.35 Lakhs for a period of 5 years
Title: Plant-Microbe Soil Interactions
10. CSIR OLP Project [OLP 0091]
[Team Member; Completed; 01.04.2014 to 31.03.2017; In-house funding]
Title: Plant growth promoting rhizobacteria mediated stress management for increasing crop productivity
11. CSIR OLP Project [OLP 0105]
[Team Member; Completed; 01.04.2017 to 01.05.2019; In-house funding]
Title: Microbial intervention for amelioration of abiotic and biotic stresses in plants
Publications (2019 onwards)
- Singh A, Tiwari S, Pandey J, Lata C* and Singh I* (2021) Role of nanoparticles in crop improvement and abiotic stress management. Journal of Biotechnology, 337: 57-70.
- Lata C* and Shivhare R (2021) Engineering cereal crops for enhanced abiotic stress tolerance. Proceedings of the Indian National Science Academy, 87:63-83.
- Yadav A, Sanyal I, Rai S P and Lata C* (2021) An overview on miRNA-encoded peptides in plant biology research. Genomics 113:2385-2391.
- Soni P, Shivhare R, Kaur A, Bansal S, Sonah H, Deshmukh R, Giri J, Lata C* and Ram H* (2021) Reference gene identification for gene expression analysis in rice under different metal stress. Journal of Biotechnology 332:83-93. *Corresponding author
- Tiwari S, Muthamilarasan M and Lata C* (2021) Genome-wide identification and expression analysis of Arabidopsis GRAM-domain containing gene family in response to abiotic stresses and PGPR treatment. Journal of Biotechnology 325:7-14.
- Lata C, Mehrian-Shai R, Cao B, Kothapalli N R, Singh G, Friedman D A, Cheung F M-H, Richter W E, Kirshner S M, Beardsley F and Wu X-Y (2020) Funding fix: Spend time. Science 370 (6512), 30-31.
- Tiwari S, Gupta SC, Chauhan PS and Lata C* (2020) An OsNAM gene confers salt stress tolerance and phytohormone modulation in transgenic Arabidopsis and plays an important role in root-rhizobacteria interaction. Plant Cell Reports 40:143-155.
- Jatan R, Chauhan PS, and Lata C* (2020) High-throughput sequencing and expression analysis demonstrate the involvement of Pseudomonas putida RA-responsive microRNAs in growth and development of Arabidopsis. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 21, 5468; doi:10.3390/ijms21155468
- Shivahre R, Lakhwani D, Asif MH, Chauhan PS, and Lata C* (2020) De novo assembly and comparative transcriptome analysis of contrasting pearl millet (Pennisetum glaucum L.) genotypes under terminal drought stress using illumina sequencing. The Nucleus DOI: 10.1007/s13237-020-00324-1
- Shivahre R, Asif MH, and Lata C* (2020) Comparative transcriptome analysis reveals the genes and pathways involved in terminal drought tolerance in pearl millet. Plant Molecular Biology 103:639–652 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11103-020-01015-w
- Tiwari S, Shweta S, Prasad M, Lata C* (2020) Genome-wide investigation of GRAM-domain containing genes in rice reveals their role in plant-rhizobacteria interactions and abiotic stress responses. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 156:1243-1257 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2019.11.162
- Chauhan PS*, Lata C*, Tiwari S, Chauhan AS, Mishra SK, Agrawal L, Chakrabarty D, Nautiyal C (2019) Transcriptional alterations reveal Bacillus amyloliquefaciens-rice cooperation under salt stress. Scientific Reports 9(1):11912.
- Jatan R and Lata C* (2019) Role of microRNAs in abiotic and biotic stress resistance in plants. Proceedings of the Indian National Science Academy 85: 553-567.
- Shivhare R and Lata C* (2019) Assessment of pearl millet genotypes for drought stress tolerance at early and late seedling stages. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 41:39.
- Jatan R, Tiwari S, Asif MH and Lata C* (2019) Genome-wide profiling of miRNAs involved in Pseudomonas putida-mediated drought stress response in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). Environmental and Experimental Botany 157: 217-227.
- Jatan R and Lata C* (2021) Tripartite interactions: Plant-Pseudomonas putida –microRNAs in agricultural productivity. In: Microbes in Land Use Change Management; Singh JS, Tiwari S, Singh C & Singh AK (Eds.), Elsevier, Netherlands p. 509-540. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-824448-7.00025-5
- Tiwari S, Lata C* and Prasad V (2021) Application of nanotechnology in overcoming salinity stress. In: Nanobiotechnology; Al-Khayri JM, Ansari MI & Singh AK (Eds.), Springer Nature, Switzerland, doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-73606-4
- Sen P, Lata C, Kiran K and Mondal TK (2021) RNA interference (RNAi) in functional genomics of wheat. In: Genome Engineering for Crop Improvement; Sarmah BK and Borah BK (Eds.) Springer Nature Switzerland AG p.239-264, ISBN 978-3-030-63372-1
- Tiwari S and Lata C (2020) Recent advancements in long noncoding RNA-mediated stress responses in rice. In: Long Noncoding RNAs in Plants: Roles in development and stress; Upadhyay SK (Ed) Elsevier, UK, p. 63.74.
- Tiwari S, and Lata C* (2019) Genome Engineering in Rice: Applications, Advancements and Future Perspectives. In: Molecular Approaches in Plant Biology and Environmental Challenges; Singh S, Upadhyaya SK (Eds.) Springer Nature pp Springer, Singapore pp 323-337 ISBN: 978-981-15-0689-5 .
- Tiwari S, Prasad V and Lata C* (2019) Bacillus: Plant growth promoting bacteria for sustainable agriculture and environment. In: New and Future Developments in Microbial Biotechnology and Bioengineering; Singh J S and Singh DP (Eds.), Elsevier pp 43-55 ISBN: 9780444641915.
Reports/Conference proceedings –
Lata C and Barman P (2021) Release of thematic luni-solar calendar “Food as Medicine”, Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge 20(3) p. 875-876.
Conferences/Seminars/Workshops (2019 onwards)
- Invited Speaker in an Interdisciplinary Refresher Course in "Information Communication Technology" organized D.D.U. Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur on 5th October 2021.
- Invited Speaker at Faculty Lecture Series on “Plant Genetic Resources and Traditional Knowledge for Food Security” organized by CSIR-NIScPR, New Delhi on 21.09.2021.
- Invited Resource person/Speaker at a two-weeks workshop on “Plant Genetic Resources Management and Utilization” organized by ICAR-NBPGR, New Delhi during 19th July to 1st August 2021.
- Invited Resource person/Speaker in a Seven day workshop on “Research Methodology & Innovations in Life Sciences” organized D.D.U. Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur during 25th to 1st July 2021.
- Organized a webinar on International Day of Biological Diversity 2021 on 27th May 2021 as the Coordinator.
- Organized a Special session on Release of Thematic Luni-Solar Calendar “Food as Medicine” on 13th April, 2021 as the Coordinator.
- Invited Speaker at International symposium on “Advances in Plant Biotechnology and Genome Editing” & 42nd Meeting of Plant Tissue Culture Association during 8th-10th April 2021.
- Coordinated Sustainable Development Vertical and Biodiversity Conclave at India International Science Festival 2020 organized by Ministry of Science & Technology, Ministry of Earth Sciences & Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India in collaboration with Vijanana Bharati by Council of Scientific & Industrial Research during 22nd to 25th December, 2020.
- Attended the We-VIDYA Workshop on Introductory R for Data Science, organised by University of Cambridge in collaboration with NIPGR, DST-KIRAN and the Indian National Young Academy of Science (INYAS) with full scholarship from 14th-17th December, 2020.
- Invited Speaker at a webinar on “Pandemics and hunger: Mainstreaming millets for addressing food and nutritional security” organized by University of Hyderabad, Telangana on 08th June, 2020.
- Invited Speaker at Young Science Leader Programme organized by Department of Botany, Central University of Punjab, Bathinda on 19th July, 2020. The YouTube video is available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLHqgFtI-jw&t=5s
- Invited Speaker in the Refresher Course in Botany (Batch XIII) at CAS in Botany, University of Madras, Chennai on 09th October, 2020.
- Invited Speaker at Faculty Development Programme on "Innovation in Scientific Research Methods" organized by Kirori Mal College, New Delhi on 15th October, 2020.
- Invited Speaker at the International Conference on Genetics and Breeding at Ch. Charan Sigh University, Meerut during 4th - 6th December, 2019.
- Invited Speaker at The Indian Academy of Sciences, Bengaluru Annual General Meeting at the University of Hyderabad from 8th - 10th November, 2019.
- Coordinator of a session and invited speaker at The National Frontiers of Science Meeting 2019 at Samod Bagh, Jaipur from November 6-8, 2019.
- Coordinated programme on National Technology Day at CSIR-NISCAIR on 13th May 2019 as Team member.
- Coordinated programme on World Environment Day at CSIR-NISCAIR on 4th June 2019 as Team member.
- Coordinated programme on International Day of Yoga Celebrations at CSIR-NISCAIR on 21st June 2019 as Coordinator.
- Coordinated ICSTI-DST-NISCAIR Conference (19-20 September 2019) as a Team Member.
- Hosted a Book reading session on National Science Day at CSIR-NISCAIR on 28th February, 2020.
International participation & collaborations
- Worked as a Visiting Fellow (Indo-Australia Early & Mid-Career Researchers Fellowship 2016-17) during 21 June to 20 September 2017 at the University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.
- Worked as Guest Research Fellow sponsored by Department of Biotechnology (DBT), GoI at Leibniz Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research (IPK), Germany during 22 November – 11 December 2009.
- Attended 40th Keystone Symposia on Abiotic Stress Tolerance Mechanisms, Water and Global Agriculture at Keystone, Colorado, USA during 17 - 22 January, 2011.
- Organized a joint CSIR-NISCAIR and CSIR-AMPRI National Science Communication Orientation Training Program as Coordinator at Bhopal during 22-23 August, 2019.
- Attended one week training programme on Science Communication organized by CSIR-NISCAIR during 08-12 July 2019.
- Attended training programme on “Work-life balance for women scientists and officers” at HRDC, Ghaziabad from December 21-23, 2016.
- Attended training programme on “Emerging trends in science, technology and governance” at Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi from February 13-17, 2017.
- Attended the “Induction Training Programme for Scientists” organized by CSIR-HRDC, Ghaziabad from February 01-10, 2016
- Guest Editor of the 3rd Special Issue of Proceedings of the Indian National Science Academy (PINSA) by the Indian National Young Academy of Science (INYAS).
- Interview covered as Face of the Month in BioStandups http://www.biostandups.com/face-of-the-month/.
- Associate (2019-2022) of the Indian Academy of Sciences, Bengaluru, India
- SERB Early Career Research Award 2018 by Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Government of India.
- Indo-Australia Early & Mid-Career Researchers Fellowship 2016-17 supported jointly by the Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi, India and Department of Science & Technology (DST), GoI.
- Founding member (2015-2020) of the INYAS, New Delhi, India.
- Grant of Special Honorarium with effect from January 01, 2015 till 2026 by Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) as performance linked incentive.
- INSA Medal for Young Scientists 2014 by INSA, New Delhi, India.
- Member of the National Academy of Sciences India (NASI), Allahabad, India.
- Member of the International Society of Environmental Botanists, Lucknow, India
- SERB Women Excellence Award 2014 by SERB, GoI.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Award for Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Research in Agricultural and Allied Sciences-2012 conferred by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi, India.
- NASI Young Scientist Platinum Jubilee Award (2012) the NASI, Allahabad, India.
- INSPIRE Faculty Award (2011) by DST, GoI.
- Dr D S Kothari Postdoctoral Fellowship 2012 by UGC, GoI (not availed).
- DBT Research Associateship (2011) by DBT, GoI (not availed).
- Member of the Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA), India.
- International Travel Grant (2010) from DST, GoI.
- CSIR Foreign Travel Grant 2010 from CSIR, GoI (not availed).
- Joint CSIR-UGC Junior Research Fellowship 2007 (Net + JRF) in Life Sciences.
- CEEB-JNU Fellowship from DBT, GoI for Post-Graduation in Agricultural Biotechnology (2005 - 2007).
- Summer Research Fellowship for Life Sciences (May to July 2006) from Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bengaluru.
- University Gold Medal, Merit Scholarship & two Memorial Cash Awards (2001-2005) by the Assam Agricultural University, India for standing first in order of merit in BSc (Agri.).
Designation Hierarchy: Senior Scientist & Head Traditional Knowledge Studies